Thursday 19 March 2015

Walking the Yangtze River #2

After a long day of fishing and cutting tea leaves with Sa, (the middle aged villager) I decided to take a break. As the sun set between the mountains I thought about what Sa said, how the village would eventually die if the Yangtze River ever dried up. I lied on the bamboo bed, and thought how easy my life was compared to these villagers. It is sometimes easy to forget how lucky you are. But for the poor its hard to forget that you have so little.

The next morning I woke up to the smell of roasted hazelnuts, I walked down the stairs to meet Sa and the translator making breakfast. I asked for my help but they insisted as a guest I relax. As they made breakfast I asked them about their culture and what they believe in. They said that they were one of the very few Christians in China. They said they prayed every six'a clock. PM and AM. They amazed me and told stories about the spirits protecting the Yangtze River. They then finished making breakfast and we feasted in. After breakfast I packed my belonging, it was time to go. I thanked the translator and Sa for letting me live in their shoes. It was truly a great experience,  as I walked off into the morning mist it was hard to believe that such poor people could just let any stranger into their home. You must be god's angels to do that. I am now back to walking the Yangtze and the wildlife is everywhere. Monkeys hop from tree to tree fiercely ripping bananas off the trees. Hippos lurk around the waters, predators of the deep hunting for prey. Blue jays guard their baby eggs waiting for them to hatch. Wildlife is everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment