Friday 20 March 2015

Walking the Yangtze #3

After walking with wildlife along the Yangtze River I see the Silk Road. The Silk Road is a trading route snaking through many villages. Men on camelback go around selling silk, cotton and other resources. They get their money by going throughout the villages selling their goods. But, the scary thing is that it can also carry disease from the men, camels or resources passed around by people. The disease would spread like a wildfire yet everyone needs resources so a lot of bad things can happen if nobody stops this madness. I leave the Yangtze for a couple of miles and walk along the Silk road. The silk road will soon give way to the desert. But for now the tropical rainforest seems to drive my wonder.

After hours of walking along the silk road I come upon another small village, however the streets seem to be empty. Their were closed doors and shut windows. I dared myself to go into the village, I could taste the fiery wind and smell the horrible odor of corpses. I cannot write on. I leave the village in astonishment, there was no sign of life everything seemed dead. I continued walking the silk road. Oddly there didn't seem to be any others walking along the road. No camels no men no caravans, it was an apocalypse.

As the sun set for another day I took camp in an abandon house, the only refuge. I pulled out some food out of my pack and slowly nibbled at it. I had a bad feeling I wasn't going to see many people living along the silk road. I must go back to the Yangtze.

No comments:

Post a Comment