Thursday 19 March 2015

Walking the Yangtze River #1

My name is Dave the Clown member of the Han dynasty and I attempt to start a long and restless journey starting from its source, all the way to Shanghai, where the river gives out to the sea. I am walking the Yangtze river.


The Yangtze river starts in Qinghai, and divides north China and south China. I arrive at the source of the Yangtze. Birds chirp in the crisp cool air of the rainforest, the Yangtze River trickles down the rocks and grows bigger every step of the way. Deer frolic as if there was nothing to fear, Salmon jump up and down from the fresh stream of water. The wildlife is beautiful and amazing and now I know that this trip won't be restless and long but a truly wonderful experience. I start walking along the trickle of water big enough to hold a few fish. I walk this river alone, just me and the wildlife. I can't understand the local language and I am eager to see the peoples culture. As I walk a long the River I notice that ALL the wildlife depends on it for food, water and resources. This already makes the River crucial to the local wildlife. As I continue I notice the River grows wider with every step.


After many hours of walking the Yangtze River the Mountains start to show and the rainforest comes to a halt. This is where the Yangtze provides water and resources to the local tribes. I am welcome into their home with some tea and fresh caught fish from the Yangtze River. A translator sat right next to the middle aged man, he told me how this village depends on the River and the local wildlife. I then asked him, “What if there was a drought and the River dries up?” The translator translated the words, he thought then answered “We would have no place to go, we wouldn’t be able to survive.”

No comments:

Post a Comment