Friday 20 March 2015

Walking the Yangtze #4

After five months of s-scavenging food and looking for human life I-I have finally f-found a-a habitable v-village. I am b-being treated by a d-doctor.

I have just woken up in a motel, I remember that I was treated and cured. I am not sure what disease I had but thats not important, I must get to Shanghai before Christmas. I fill my pack with food
and thank the villagers I then head off, this time along the Yangtze River. Kayaks calmly paddle on the Yangtze one man offered me a ride, I had to accept. I had never been on a kayak before so it would be a new experience for me. "Hold on", said the driver. "Hold on?" BAM! We hit the rapids at top speed. The kayak banged left and right, I held on for dear life. I thought we would sink, fortunately after five minutes in the rapids the water calmed down. The warm sun took the energy away from me. I decided to take a short rest. I woke up to the sound of thick ropes throbbing on the canoe. "This is your stop, Shanghai is only 30 miles that way." He smiled. I thanked him and started walking to my final destination. It was weird that the driver of the canoe knew where I was going. Maybe a rumor spread? Whatever it was Shanghai was in range!

After miles of running to Shanghai I decide to take a break. I sat on a small bench and pulled out some water, if there is one thing I learned its stay hydrated. With a lot of courage I got up and ran as fast as I could to Shanghai. I was determine to get there.

Hours later of running I finally reached Shanghai. The beautiful city lay beside the still and calm Yangtze River. I made it. I made it before Christmas, A group of people welcomed me. I finally did it, after months of traveling I finally completed my journey. I thanked everyone for encouraging me, but sadly there was no time for party. I had a family and a girlfriend at home. I couldn't leave them for another day. I jumped on the biggest boat I have ever seen, for traveling to distant countries and as I left the harbor I waved to those who waved to me and to those with a close family and to those who are going through hard times, I waved to them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment