Monday 23 March 2015

Puppet Pilgrimage 3

Entry 3 in Journal


I have come to the place where my memories become sad and lonesome. I have come to the city of Chongqing. This is where my mother and father were buried. It had all started when they went out to the rice patties for another day’s work. They were working fine until they accidentally disturbed a rice paddy snake. The snake bit both of them. The bite wasn’t deadly but their bites got infected and two weeks later they both died from the infection. They were buried here with over 310 other civilians. Even though the cemetery is a home for so many deceased people I find the whole cemetery grand and beautiful. I wonder what people thousands of years from now will think of it when they discover it. Even though this is a sad place for me it brings back memories from my childhood. I learned of confucianism today when I was walking the streets looking for food from the market. The man told me that we were the first dynasty to embrace it. I cannot believe this. I feel that our dynasty is really changing things. I am proud of the dynasty that I live in. Today I visited a buddhist temple. I prayed there for my family. I was amazed of the intricate designs and colors of the temple. The experience was very sacred to me. I have only been to a temple several times in my over thirty year life and this temple really stood out. For some reason I felt extra calm and sound in this temple. I will never forget this experience. Tomorrow is Vesak, I will be going to the temple again to celebrate it. I will bring flowers for the offerings. I cannot wait to sing hymns and pray during the birthday of Buddha with the many people I grew up with in this very village. I cannot wait for Vesak tomorrow. Tonight I prayed for my family and for good luck. I cannot wait to see what comes my way tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment